Spend Labor Day weekend cooking up these delicious salmon and cherry tomato skewers with rosemary vinaigrette, washing them down with a refreshing hard cider sangria and topping it all off with a sweet chocolate-crusted plum galette.
1) Salmon Skewers with Almond Charmoula
Simply grilling fish is TV chef Andrew Zimmern’s favorite way to eat what comes out of the ocean. For these skewers, he pairs rich salmon with North African charmoula, a brightly acidic herb paste tempered with sweet fruit and—his personal twist—crunchy nuts.
2) Arugula Salad With Potatoes and Green Beans
Use fingerling, Yellow Finn or Yukon Gold potatoes in this salad and toss them gently with the vinaigrette so they keep their shape.
3) Kaiserschmarrn with Peaches
Kaiserschmarrn is a popular Austrian dessert that can also be eaten for breakfast.
4) Watermelon Salad with Mint and Lime
This supremely simple fruit salad is the perfect side dish for grilled foods.
5) Ricotta and Roasted Tomato Bruschetta with Pancetta
Peak-season tomatoes make all the difference in this simple bruschetta from author Susan Spungen.
6) Bacon-Wrapped Vegetable Skewers with Dill Pickle Relish
Dill pickle-herb oil—used as both a marinade and a dipping sauce—gives smoky oyster mushrooms and cherry tomatoes a double hit of brightness.
7) Mixed Citrus and Arugula Salad
This salad calls for a trio of citrus, including navel oranges, which are meaty and slightly acidic. Feel free to try other varieties such as Cara Caras, which have a lovely pink flesh and delicate flavor. No matter what kind you choose, you'll get a big dose of vitamin C.
8) Swordfish Skewers with Salsa Verde
Chef Chad Colby uses fresh bay leaves on these fresh swordfish skewers, which imparts a lovely fragrance to the dish.
9) Creamless Creamed Corn with Mushrooms and Lemon
"My granny taught me that when corn is very fresh, the juices are naturally creamy," Kevin Gillespie says. "I took that as the gospel." He grates half of the corn here to make a luxurious puree that thickens without cream.
10) Mashed Potato Casserole with Pulled Chicken and Crispy Bacon
This recipe featuring mashed potatoes, pulled chicken and crispy bacon yields comfort food at its best.